Zipping a file means compressing it so that it takes less space on the hard drive and can be shared easily with others. Zipping files and folders is very easy in Windows 10 and it can be done directly in File Explorer which means you are not required to install any of the third party tools. For zipping files you need to open File Explorer and then from there you need to select files and use either Send To menu or Ribbon menu. You can also learn How to take Screenshots in Windows 10.
Zipping Files by Using Sent To Menu
In order to zip a file by using Send To menu you need to follow these steps.
- 1st of all yo need to select the files as well as folder which you want to compress. If you want to zip more than one files or folders then you can use two different methods 1st one is if you want to select consecutive files/folders then select the 1st item and hold down Shift key and then select last item. In the 2nd method where you need to select more than one non-consecutive items you need to select 1st item and then hold down Ctrl key for selecting multiple non-consecutive items.
- In the 2nd step you need to right click on the file/folder.
- After right clicking the selected file/folder a drop-down menu will appear. From here you need to select/click Send To and then Compressed (zipped) folder.
- In the next step you need to name the ZIP file and for that you need to enter the name which you want for the zipped file. Now press Enter in order to accept the suggested filename.
Zipping One or More Files with Ribbon Menu.
You can also zip your files from the ribbon menu of Windows 10 and for that you need to follow these steps.
- Select the file or folder which you need to compress or zip.
- In the File Explorer you need to navigate to the Share tab.
- In the Share tab you need to click on the Zip button.
- Your desired files/folders will be zipped or compressed.